Admissions Information for Canadian Applicants

High School Transcripts

The University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry requires an official High School Transcript from all Canadian applicants, regardless of provincial residency.

Ontario Residents: For those who have completed Grade 13 or OAC, when it was an option, full credit is given for Grade 13 or OAC English toward fulfilling the English requirement (achieved grades of “C” or higher are required in order to be acknowledged). Grade 13 or OAC science courses do not fulfill the requirements in Biology, Chemistry and Physics. However, credit may be given for these courses toward meeting the requirement of eight semester hours in each science when these courses are also taken in a university. University prep courses in English are also considered.

Dental Admission/Aptitude Test (DAT)

U.S. or Canadian Examination results are accepted.  On either examination, please be certain you request official DAT results be forwarded to the University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry.

For more information, contact:

DAT Program

- or -

Dental Admission Testing Program

c/o Canadian Dental Association

c/o American Dental Association

1815 Alta Vista Drive
Ottawa, ON K1G-3Y6

211 East Chicago Avenue, Suite 600
Chicago, IL 60611

Telephone: (613) 523-7736

Telephone: (800) 232-2162



Financial Aid

Canadian citizens do not qualify for U.S. Federal Financial Aid programs unless the applicant is also a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. (“Green Card”).  The University of Detroit Mercy Scholarship and Financial Aid Office has limited infor mation on alternative loans for non-residents of the United States (these loans usually require a U.S. cosigner).

We suggest Canadian applicants contact financial aid/loan institutions in Canada.  University of Detroit Mercy is an approved professional university outside of Canada and many of our Ontario students receive OSAP.

For more information contact:

Student Support Branch

- or -

Ms. Camellia Taylor, Coordinator

Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities

School of Dentistry Financial Aid

P.O. Box 4500
189 Red River Road, 4th floor

UDM School of Dentistry
2700 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

Thunder Bay, ON P7B-6G9

Detroit, MI 48208-2576

Telephone :  (807) 343-7260

Telephone: (313) 494-6617



Information about Licensure in Canada

For more information, contact: 

The National Dental Examining Board of Canada
100 Bronson Avenue, Suite 203
Ottawa, ON K1R-6G8
Telephone: (613) 236-5812
FAX: (613) 236-8386

Information about Practicing in the United States

The Free Trade Agreement established a new category of non-immigrant visas.  One of these visas is called the TN Visa which allows members of professions to apply for admission at an entry point into the United States instead of submitting a formal application to the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) in Lincoln, Nebraska.  The INS office processing TN application is located at the Detroit-Windsor tunnel.

The TN application consists of the following:

  1. Proof of Canadian Citizenship
    °       This could be a short – or long-form Canadian birth certificate, a Canadian Passport or a certificate of Canadian naturalization.
  2. Detailed letter from the employer. The letter should:
    °       Affirm the Appendix 1603.D.1 profession of the applicant (Dentistry is listed).
    °       Describe the duties the applicant will perform in the U.S.
    °       Reference the anticipated length of stay.
    °       Review the educational qualifications or credentials which demonstrate the applicant has professional level status.
    °       Describe the arrangements for payment for the services to be rendered.
    °       Confirm that the applicant meets all license requirements, if applicable.
  3. Evidence that the job is one of the occupations listed in Appendix 1603.D.1 (Dentistry is listed).
    °       This can be in the form of a copy of the Appendix, with a statement in the employer letter or cover letter specifically placing the employment within one of the occupations listed.
  4. Evidence that the individual has the required credentials for the job as stated in Appendix 1603.D.1.
    °       The Canadian citizen must present his or her credentials, including diplomas, transcripts, licensed, certificates or other documentation. DHS has the right to request to see these documents in original form or certified copies, so the Canadian citizen should be prepared with originals or certified copies.
    °       Any credentials obtained outside the U.S., Canada or Mexico should be accompanied by a credential evaluation. If seeking to prove experience to meet the TN requirements, the applicant should submit letters from previous employers or business records for proof of self-employment.
    °       In general, there must be a reasonable connection between the academic or professional credentials of the individual and the duties that will be performed. If the connection is not obvious, a reasonable argument should be provided to support the application.
  5. A statement that the purpose of the entry to the U.S. is temporary (note: renewal should be no problem).
    °       Although this may be set forth in the employer’s letter, the applicant should
    Articulate it at the time of admission.
  6. Filing fee.
    °       Must be in U.S. currency.