Dental Radiography: Film and Digital Techniques
Friday, April 08, 2011 - Sunday, April 10, 2011
PresentersJames Geist, D.D.S., M.S.,
The course will provide the information, concepts, and principles necessary for safe and effective use of radiation in dental practice. Topics include: intraoral and panoramic techniques including identification of the anatomical structures seen on dental radiographs, radiographic quality evaluation criteria, and the geometric principles of radiographic image formation. An understanding of the characteristics of radiation provides a basis for radiation safety practices. The purpose of the course is to assist participants in understanding fundamental concepts that are essential for success in clinical practice using film or digital technology. This is an introductory course that does not require the participants to have any prior experience in dental radiography.
At the completion of the course participants will be able to:
- Identify teeth and anatomic structures on intraoral and panoramic radiographs
- Explain the indications and contraindications for various radiographic projections
- Describe the techniques for periapical, bitewing, and occlusal radiographs
- Expose, process, and mount intraoral radiographs
- Describe the concepts and technique of panoramic radiography
- Position patients correctly for panoramic radiographs
- Evaluate intraoral and panoramic radiographs for technical quality in reference to criteria for acceptability
- Identify image distortion and overlapping and explain their causes and corrective actions
- Identify film and digital processing errors and explain their causes and corrective actions
- Describe and demonstrate practices that minimize unnecessary radiation exposure while maximizing radiographic diagnostic yield
NOTE: All participants are asked to bring radiographs with technical errors from their offices. We will have a discussion session in which we will identify what has gone wrong and how to correct the problems.
UDM School of Dentistry Corktown Campus, Detroit, MI
[Click here for directions]
Dental Assistants - $425 (includes lunch). Three or more participants from the same office receive a 10% discount. Call 313-494-6626 to receive a discount code for online registration of three or more participants.
9:00 AM to 4:30 PM; Registration table opens half an hour before the course begins.
18 hours (Lecture and Hands-On)
All dental assistants are required by the Michigan Board of Dentistry to successfully complete a dental radiography course in order to operate dental radiographic equipment.
This course is limited to 15 participants, register early!
Powered by ABCSignup.com