LGBTQ Inclusive Care Practices
Wednesday, June 25, 2014
This workshop on LGBT-inclusive care practices uses a social justice framework to guide participants through a curriculum that bridges knowledge of healthcare disparities for LGBT populations, common terminology describing gender and sexuality, standards of care for transgender people, and recognizing workplace bias with best practices for meeting the needs of LGBT patients in a healthcare setting. We will discuss personal awareness, knowledge, skills, and taking action as it relates to the topics we’ve covered in the training and how participants may apply what they’ve learned in their practice.
At the completion of the course participants will be able to:
- · Build knowledge of one’s identities and how they affect interpersonal interactions
- · Recognize health care disparities for LGBT populations
- · Gain understanding of terminology related to gender and sexuality
- · Develop skills and confidence to intervene in bias situations
- · Identify multiple strategies for creating an LGBT-inclusive atmosphere in your practice
University of Detroit Mercy Dental Corktown Campus, Detroit, MI
[Click here for directions]
Dentist - $125; Allied - $75 (includes light supper and refreshments)
This course is a fund raiser for the Alliance for Inclusion student organization.
6:00 PM to 9:00 PM; Registration table opens half an hour before the course begins.
3 hours (Lecture)