Cultural Sensitivity: Treating Our Diverse Patients
Wednesday, November 2, 2011
PresenterPamela Zarkowski, JD, MPH
Diversity has many different aspects including race, ethnicity and gender. It can also include health beliefs, health practices and health literacy. This seminar will review current population trends in today’s society, and will highlight health beliefs and practices from various racial and ethnic groups that will be helpful in assessing patients and planning care. An awareness of health literacy and its impact on provider communication and patient understanding will be reviewed, as well as the current trends in alternative medicine.
At the completion of the course participants will be able to:
- Understand current population trends in society.
- Understand the health belief model.
- Understand key health beliefs and practices found within the diverse patient population in the state.
- Describe the principles of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM).
- Discuss current issues related to health literacy and health illiteracy.
University of Detroit Mercy Dental Corktown Campus, Detroit, MI
Click here for directions
All dental professionals: $50 or 5 canned goods (includes light snack and refreshments).
All donated canned goods will be distributed to Covenant House.
6:30 PM to 8:30 PM; Registration table opens half an hour before the course begins.
2 hours (Lecture)