Basic and Advanced Soft Tissue and Bone Grafting: A Hands-On Experience
Saturday, February 15, 2014
This course is designed to acquaint the dentist with basic practical periodontal surgical procedures including full-thickness flap procedure for osseous surgery, the distal wedge procedure, socket augmentation procedures, site augmentation and guided bone regeneration. Additionally, soft tissue grafting including the coronally advanced flaps and free gingival grafting techniques will be discussed. Description with clinical slides and videos of all procedures will be followed by a hands-on practice on pig jaws.
The morning session will be spent performing buccal and lingual-replaced flaps on a pig jaws, followed by crown lengthening procedures. This will be followed by socket augmentation procedures using bone grafts and barriers.
In the afternoon participants will perform Guided Bone Regeneration procedure utilizing bone graft materials and barriers. Correct flap management and suturing techniques will be discussed. This session will be followed by soft tissue grafting techniques, including the coronally advanced flap for treatment of gingival recession and the free gingival graft technique for treatment of mucogingival defects around teeth and implants.
Surgical instruments and disposable gowns will be provided for use during the course. Participants should bring protective eyewear and wear comfortable clothing.
At the completion of the course participants will:
- Understand the fundamentals of basic flap design and various suturing techniques.
- Practice different incision techniques
- Learn how to perform atraumatic extraction using periotomes and micro-elevators.
- Learn about various socket anatomies and their classification and management.
- Learn about different grafting materials
- Learn and perform socket augmentation technique
- Learn and perform GBR techniques for site development for implants.
- Learn and perform pedicle soft tissue grafting for treatment of gingival recession.
- Learn to harvest a free gingival graft from the donor area and perform grafting techniques around teeth and implants.
- Learn various suturing techniques for soft tissue grafting.
- Learn the post-operative protocol and management of complications.
University of Detroit Mercy Dental Corktown Campus, Detroit, MI
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM; Registration table opens a half hour before the course begins.
7 hours (Lecture and Hands-On Laboratory)
This is a limited attended course, so register early to reserve your seat.
Includes continental breakfast and lunch
Dentist - $620.00
UDM Alumus - $558.00
For your convenience you may register up until 3:00pm on the day prior to the start of the course with no additional charge. An additional non-refundable fee of $20 dollars per person, per course will be assessed to any registrations received after 3:00pm the day prior to a course or to any same day or walk in registrations.
Refund and Cancellation Policy
A full refund less $25 will be granted if notification of cancellation is received by the Institute for Advanced Continuing Dental Education office two weeks (14 or more days) prior to the start of the course. If a cancellation is received less than two weeks (13 or less days) prior to the start of this course, no refund will be granted. Refunds cannot be given for same day cancellations or no-shows.
Click here to visit our updated general information and policy page.