Shin-Mey Rose Yin Geist
Dr. Geist was born and raised in Taiwan, Republic of China and graduated from Dental School in Taiwan in 1974. She specialized in Oral Surgery and was teaching in the University Hospital when she found her passion in Oral Medicine. She completed her master's degree in Oral Diagnosis/Oral Medicine at Indiana University School of Dentistry in 1985 and then studied and worked in Molecular Biology and DNA cloning research at the medical schools at Indiana University and Wayne State University. Dr. Geist received her D.D.S. degree in 1990 from University of Detroit Mercy and has been teaching oral diagnosis and oral medicine at UDM since that time. She is presently Chair-elect of Oral Diagnosis and Oral Medicine section of American Dental Education Association.
Dr. Geist has been a Diplomate of the American Board of Oral Medicine since 1992 and has special interest in medically complex dental patient management and non-pharmacologic management of oral facial pain. Her research interests include the efficiency in teaching and service in this area.
Selected peer-reviewed publications (in chronological order)
- Smith DI, Mangrulker R, Geist R, Gilbert J, Kinsman K, Drabkin H, Golembieski W. Saturation of human chromosome 3 with unique sequence hybridization probes. Genomics. 1989 May;4(4):453-9.
- Nichols C, Geist R, Nichols K. Clear-cell neoplasm. J Laryngol Otol 1992; 106:553-555.
- Geist JR, Geist SMY, Wesley RK. Diagnostic procedures in oral amyloidosis. Compend Contin Educ Dent 1993;14: 924-935.
- Mintz SM, Ettinger AC, Geist JR, Geist RY. A modified geniotomy technique for obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1995;53:1226-1228.
- Mintz SM, Ettinger AC, Geist JR, Geist RY. Anatomic relationship of the genial tubercles to the dentition as determined by cross-sectional tomography. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1995;53: 1324-1326.
- Geist SMY, Mallon HL. Adenomatoid odontogenic tumor: report of an unusually large case in the mandible. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1995;53:714-717.
- Gordon SC, Geist RY, Hirschman B, Geist JR. Oral pathology quiz. Case 4. Squamous cell carcinoma. J Mich Dent Assoc. 2001 Jun;83(5):36-7,39.
- Gordon SC, Geist RY, Hirschman B, Geist JR. Oral pathology quiz. Case 3. Periapical cemento-osseous dysplasia--no treatment recommended. J Mich Dent Assoc. 2001 Jun;83(5):36-9.
- Gordon SC, Geist RY, Hirschman B, Geist JR. Oral pathology quiz. Case 2. Florid cemento-osseous dysplasia. J Mich Dent Assoc. 2001 Jun;83(5):36-8.
- Gordon SC, Geist RY, Hirschman B, Geist JR. Oral pathology quiz. Case 1. Necrotizing sialometaplasia. J Mich Dent Assoc 2001; 83(6):36-8, 50-51.
- Geist RY, Gordon S. Oral pathology quiz #2: ectopic geographic tongue. J Mich Dent Assoc 2001; 83(9):26-28.
- Geist RY. Oral pathology quiz #12: multiple soft tissue lesions. J Mich Dent Assoc 2003; 85(3):34, 49.
- Barasch A, Gordon S, Geist RY, Geist JR. Necrotizing stomatitis: report of 3 Pseudomonas aeruginosa-positive patients. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2003; 96(2):136-40.
- Geist RY, Geist JR, Aksu M. Jaw osteonecrosis related to bisphosphonates: a new concern for dentistry. J Mich Dent Assoc 2005;87(11):40-2.
- Geist RY, Geist JR, Aksu M. Jaw osteonecrosis related to bisphosphonates: a new concern for dentistry. Today's FDA 2006;18:27,34-5.
- Geist JR, Gordon SC, Geist RY. Oral pathology quiz #16. Radiolucent lesion in the anterior maxilla. Nasopalatine duct cyst. J Mich Dent Assoc 2006;88(3):30,54-55.
- Geist SMRY, Fitzpatrick S, Geist JR. American Heart Association 2007 guidelines on prevention of infective endocarditis. J Mich Dent Assoc 2007;89(9):50-6
- Varon F, Geist R. AAOM Web Writing Group. Patient information sheet: diabetes mellitus. www.aaom.com/diabetes mellitus, 2007.
- Geist SMRY, Geist JR. Improvement in medical consultation responses with a structured request form. J Dent Educ 2008;72(5):553-61.
- Geist R , Oral Health Management of Pregnant Dental Patients. MedEdPORTAL; 2009. Available from: http://services.aamc.org/30/mededportal/servlet/s/segment/mededportal/?subid=4056
Selected Invited and Continuing Education Presentations (in chronological order)
The Value of Service Learning in Teaching Oral Medicine: An Initiative Teaching Model in Oral Medicine at the University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry.
American Academy of Oral Medicine
“Jaw osteonecrosis related to bisphosphonates: a new concern in dentistry”
Peking Union Medical College
Beijing, China June 28, 2007
West China Dental School/ Sichuan University
Chengdu, China July 3, 2007
“New Developments in Oral Medicine”
Doubletree Hotel, Dearborn, Michigan
February 28, 2008
“A Quantum Leap in Evidence-Based
Dental Practice- Prevention of Infective Endocarditis”
Macomb District Dental Hygiene Society
Clinton Township, Michigan
March 14, 2008
“Prevention of Infective Endocarditis in Dentistry”
and “Understanding the Dental Impact of Bisphosphonate Use”
Wolverine Dental Hygiene Society
April 20, 2008
“Self-awareness of Oral Health Needs in Hemophilia Patients”
American Academy of Oral Medicine
“The Mystery of Burning Mouth Syndrome: Definition, Diagnosis, and Management”
Oakland County Dental Hygienists’ Association
March 6, 2009
“Recent Developments in Diabetes Mellitus and Dental Implications”
University of Detroit Mercy, School of Dentistry
April 18, 2009
Research Interests and Activities
- Pedagogical methods in Oral Medicine education
- Non pharmacological management of oral facial pain
- Evidence-Based dental practice
- Efficiency and effectiveness in dental patient care