Becoming a Patient
Our faculty, staff and students are committed to providing comprehensive, patient-centered care. Please review the following information to become a patient as part of our student clinical program at the Detroit Mercy Dental clinic.
If you have been referred to one of our specialty clinics, please contact the specific clinic where you would like to schedule treatment.
Patients interested in receiving treatment at our Faculty Practice should contact them directly.
Schedule a Screening:
- Call 313-494-6700 to schedule a screening appointment at either location:
Your First Visit:
- Your first visit will consist of a screening appointment to determine the level of difficulty of your case. On your appointment day, please remember to bring the following items with you:
- Photo identification; we are unable to see patients without this
- Dental insurance information, including your insurance card
- Recent x-rays, if available
- A list of ALL current medications and dosage
- If you are under the care of a physician, please bring the name and address of your physician
- There is no charge for the screening appointment; should you need x-rays, there is a minimum $50 charge
Please note: not everyone is accepted as part of our student program for dental care. If you are not, you will receive information to help you find a dentist.
Once Accepted as a Patient:
- You will be assigned to a student doctor who will work with our licensed faculty to provide a thorough examination and develop an ideal, individualized, treatment plan
- Depending on the complexity of a case, this process may require three to four visits and may involve making molds of your teeth
- You should expect to spend two to three hours for each appointment, a minimum of twice a month, until your treatment is completed
Click here for more information on patient responsibilities. (PDF Document)