Philosophy and Goals
The overall philosophy of the AEGD program at UDM School of Dentistry is to provide the general dentist with advanced knowledge and skills that will enable him/her to provide evidence-based comprehensive oral care ethically and competently on a wide range of patient populations.
The AEGD Program goals are to prepare a graduate to:
- Act as a Primary care provider who can plan and provide a high caliber of comprehensive dental services including: emergency and multidisciplinary comprehensive oral health care, patient centered care coordinated by a general practitioner, health promotion and disease prevention activities, and dental treatment using advanced treatment modalities.
- Plan and provide comprehensive oral health care for a variety of patients including patients of special needs, complex medical conditions, and financial barriers.
- Effectively manage oral health care delivery, including patient management, practice management, and quality improvement activities to meet the needs of a dynamic health care environment.
- Function effectively as a member of a multidisciplinary health care team to promote total body health.
- Apply scientific principles and critical thinking to learning and oral health care, including evidence-based clinical decision making and effective use of technology in health care delivery.
- Promote the value of professional ethics, lifelong learning, patient centered care, service to the community and cultural diversity in professional dental practice.
- Understand the oral health care needs of communities, and actively engage in community service to promote oral health.