The UDMercy Dental Hygiene Program is within the School of Dentistry which is located on the Corktown campus. Students have the option of obtaining either a Certificate in Dental Hygiene or a combined Certificate in Dental Hygiene/Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene. The professional phase of the Dental Hygiene Program does not keep a waiting list.
In addition, the Dental Hygiene Program also offers a Degree Completion Program for Associate level licensed Dental Hygienists wishing to complete a Baccalaureate degree.
The Professional Dental Hygiene Program encompasses 2 stages of preparation:
1. Pre-Dental Hygiene coursework
As Pre-Dental Hygiene students, pre-requisite courses will take approximately 1 1/2 years to complete and can be completed at the University of Detroit Mercy within the College of Liberal Arts and Science (Mc Nichols campus). Students wishing to transfer from another accredited college or university must complete courses equivalent to those offered at the University of Detroit Mercy.
2. Application and Acceptance into the Professional phase of the Dental Hygiene Program
Prospective students into the Professional phase of the Dental Hygiene program should apply prior to the completion of the pre-dental hygiene coursework. Admission is competitive based on college GPAs. The Professional Dental Hygiene Program does not keep a waiting list and the admissions process starts anew each year based on the most qualified candidates.
Application deadline is February 1st for the next incoming class.
Once admitted into the Professional phase of the program, students will begin a 2-year (6 semester) full-time curriculum starting at the end of May.
Highlights of the Professional Dental Hygiene Program:
- Academically challenging curriculum consisting of approximately 20 percent interdisciplinary courses (dental and dental hygiene students take certain courses together)
- Dental hygiene and Dental students practicing together in the clinic performing patient assessments and patient care.
- Clinically and Community oriented curriculum with numerous experiences outside of the School of Dentistry at various locations throughout the Detroit area.
- Dental Hygiene Program within the School of Dentistry allowing students to gain a broad background in all aspects of dental hygiene and dentistry.
- Graduates of the Certificate and Baccalaureate programs are eligible to take dental hygiene licensing examinations in any of the 50 states.
The Dental Hygiene Program at the School of Dentistry is accredited by the American Dental Association's Commission on Dental Accreditation.