In order to be admitted as a freshman to the University of Detroit Mercy, applicants must meet the general entrance requirements of the University.
Acceptance as a Pre-Dental Hygiene student does not guarantee admission into the Professional phase of the Dental Hygiene Program.
Recommended High School PreparationThough no specific high school courses are required for admission to UDM, the most successful candidates are those who've had a well-balanced college preparatory program, including:
- four units of college preparatory English,
- three units of Mathematics,
- two units of History and/or Social Studies,
- two units of Natural Science including a lab,
- study in Speech, Foreign Language, Music, Art or other subjects which contribute to a well-rounded academic background.
- one unit of Algebra
- one unit of Biology
- one or more units of Chemistry
Keep in mind...
The quality of your high school academic performance and difficulty of the courses you select are more important than merely meeting the minimum requirements. It is particularly important that you demonstrate strength in those high school subjects directly related to the UDM program you wish to enter.
Entering Freshmen Students
High School GPA of 2.7 or better
- Admitted directly into Pre-Dental Hygiene and appointed an advisor from the School of Dentistry.
- All courses taken during this phase will be completed on the Mc Nichols campus, not at the School of Dentistry.
- The advantage of admission into Pre-Dental Hygiene is the benefit of placement tests and the expertise of a Dental Hygiene advisor.
- The advisor will help in the correct selection of appropriate courses and in the presentation of your credentials for evaluation by the Dental Hygiene Admission Committee.
High School GPA below 2.7
- Admitted into the Health Exploration program within the College of Liberal Arts & Education.
Transfer Students from another college/university
The dental hygiene program gives full consideration to students who wish to transfer from any accredited college or university.
Students wishing to transfer from other schools after their freshman year must complete courses equivalent to those offered at the University of Detroit Mercy. See the Transfer Guide and/or Transfer Credit System for university and community college courses equivalent to those offered at the University of Detroit Mercy.
Transfer students are offered an advisor from the School of Dentistry to monitor pre-dental hygiene course work and assist with application into the Professional Dental Hygiene Program. Call 313-494-6625 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an advising appointment with the Director of Dental Hygiene Admissions.
The following must be completed before official entrance into the professional phase of the program and will take approximately 1 ½ years to complete. Completion of these courses does not guarantee admission into the professional phase of the dental hygiene program.
Note: Pre-requisite courses are be subject to change. Please consult with the Director of Dental Hygiene Admissions for current requirements. The minimum required prerequisite courses include the following:
|BIO 2040||Applied Nutrition||3|
|BIO 2410||General Microbiology||3|
|BIO 2420||General Microbiology Lab||1|
|BIO 2300||Human Anatomy & Physiology I||3|
|BIO 2310||Human Anatomy & Physiology Lab I||1|
|BIO 2320||Human Anatomy & Physiology II||3|
|BIO 2330||Human Anatomy & Physiology Lab II||1|
|CHM 1015||Chemistry Principles||3|
|CHM 1025||Introductory Chemistry for Health Sciences||3|
|CST 1010||Fundamentals of Speech||3|
|ENL 1310||Academic Writing||3|
|ENL 2350||The Study of Fiction *||3|
|ENL 2450||The Study of Poetry *||3|
|ENL 2650||The Study of Drama *||3|
|* Choose one|
|PYC 1000||Introduction to Psychology||3|
|SOC 1000||Introduction to Sociology||3|