The Periodontics Graduate Program at the University of Detroit Mercy is a 35-month full-time comprehensive program that offers a Certificate in Periodontics and a Master of Science. The curriculum has been developed so that on completion, the student will have attained the following:
- Competency in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of periodontal diseases.
- Competency in non-surgical and surgical treatment modalities.
- Competency in the placement and maintenance of dental implants.
- Competency in the management of medically compromised patients.
- Competency in advanced oral plastic surgical procedures.
- Competency in the use of advanced information technological systems.
- Competency in the administration of light parental conscious sedation and advanced cardiac life support.
- Competency in the scientific and evidence-based management of patient care.
The didactic knowledge, as well as the diagnostic, treatment, and maintenance skills necessary for successful completion of the American Board of Periodontology examination.
The knowledge and skills necessary to prepare the student for a successful clinical practice, or a position in academics or research.